Monday, July 16, 2007

Entrusting Ourselves to God

1. If a boat is running with the stream, it has little need of the pull of the oars nor of the guidance of the helm. Its passage is smooth and peaceful.

The same applies to those who place absolute confidence in God in their journey through life. God knows that I love Him, they reason; He knows the dangers to which I am exposed and knows how weak I am. He will not allow me to be tempted beyond my strength. God is faithful and will not permit you to be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also give you a way out that you may be able to bear it. (1 Cor. 10:13)

Why should I worry when I know that whatever God has in store for me is for my own good? Do I suffer from poor health: Let the will of God be done, for this is for my spiritual welfare. Am I strong and able to work for His glory a Let me thank God for making me the instrument of His goodness.

Am I calumniated or misunderstood? This humiliation is good for me. Am I esteemed and honoured a Let me accept this also from God's hands and make the best possible use of the gifts which He has given me, for my responsibility is all the greater because of them. It would be a sad loss if these gifts were to make me vain and proud, for they do not belong to me but to God. There is no need to be disturbed. Everything must be accomplished for God, with God and in God, and with complete abandonment to His will.

2. Sometimes the cross seems too heavy. Physical or moral sufferings may give rise to a feeling of rebellion, or temptations may grow so strong that I feel overwhelmed and unable to experience the supernatural influence of God's grace.

At such times I should remember the words of Jesus: Come to me, all you who labour and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon You, and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light. (Mt. 11:28)

If I leave myself entirely in God's hands, my cross will become lighter. My worries and woes will be easier to bear, and I shall not be excessively elated by worldly pleasure.

3. All the Saints had this perfect trust in God. Therefore they were always content. St. Joseph is only one example. He had the joy of seeing the Son of God born of his immaculate spouse, but he also saw Him being born on a cold, dark night in the most squalid conditions. He heard the choir of Angels praising God above the lowly manger and saw the shepherds and the Magi adoring the Divine Child. But soon afterwards he heard from a heavenly messenger that Herod was seeking to put Jesus to death and that it would be necessary to flee into exile in Egypt.

The holy Patriarch was as resigned to the poverty of the manger and the discomforts of exile as he was grateful to God for the wonderful gifts and joys which he had been granted. He knew that God could have solved by a single act of His divine will all the problems which he encountered throughout life. But he never asked for such a favour. His only desire was to do God's Will perfectly. Let this be our desire also, and let us never cease to ask God for this grace.

No comments: